Languages
As this is a new forum, I would greatly appreciate it if you registered.
A bigger member list makes me happy.

To register, click the big green plus at the top of the page.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Languages
As this is a new forum, I would greatly appreciate it if you registered.
A bigger member list makes me happy.

To register, click the big green plus at the top of the page.
Languages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Prepositions

Go down

Prepositions Empty Prepositions

Post  CJ Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:56 am

Prepositions
Prepositions relate two events in time or two people or things in space.[84] They form a closed class.[84] They also represent abstract relations between two entities:[84] Examples:
("after"Smile "We came home from Mr. Boythorn's after six pleasant weeks."[88]
("after"Smile "'That was done with a bamboo,' said the boy, after one glance."[89]
("to"Smile "I must go down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life, ..."[90]
("between" and "through"Smile "Between two golden tufts of summer grass, I see the world through hot air as through glass, ..."[91]
("during"Smile "During these years at Florence, Leonardo's history is the history of his art; he himself is lost in the bright cloud of it."[92]
("of"Smile "When to the sessions of sweet silent thought I summon up remembrances of things past."[93]
Prepositions are accompanied by prepositional complements;[94] these are usually noun phrases.[94] In the above examples, the prepositional complements are:
preposition: "after"; prepositional complement: "six pleasant weeks"
preposition: "after"; prepositional complement: "one glance"
preposition: "to"; prepositional complement: "the seas"; preposition: "to"; prepositional complement: "the vagrant gypsy life";
preposition: "Between"; prepositional complement: "two golden tufts of summer grass,"; preposition: "through"; prepositional complement: "hot air"; preposition: "as through"; prepositional complement: "glass."
preposition: "during"; prepositional complement: "these years at Florence."
preposition: "of"; prepositional complement: "sweet silent thought"; preposition: "of"; prepositional complement: "things past."
[edit]Prepositional phrases
A prepositional phrase is formed when a preposition combines with its complement.[95] In the above examples, the prepositional phrases are:
prepositional phrase: "after six pleasant weeks"
prepositional phrase: "after one glance"
prepositional phrases: "to the seas" and "to the vagrant gypsy life"
prepositional phrases: "Between two golden tufts of summer grass," "through hot air" and "as through glass."
prepositional phrase: "During these years at Florence."
prepositional phrases "of sweet silent thought" and "of things past."
CJ
CJ
Admin

https://language.iftopic.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum